Dua Lipa is dispelling rumors that she’ll be making an appearance at the World Cup in Qatar, which will begin later this month.
In a post on his Instagram Story on Sunday, the British pop star told his fans that he would not be appearing at the FIFA event, which led to calls for him to be removed. As Yahoo Sports previously reported, the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar has raised concerns about human rights abuses, while LGBTQ people have criticized the country’s anti-gay laws. “There are now many speculations that I will play in the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar,” wrote the 27-year-old Lipa. “I’m not going to play… and I never got involved in any internal discussion. “
Although the singer did not rule out the game completely – noting that it would “make England happy from afar” – he referred to human rights issues.
He added, “I look forward to visiting Qatar when it fulfills all the human rights promises it made when it won the right to host the World Cup.” Lipa never returned to the political scene. In 2018, the “One Kiss” singer said that he was afraid that musicians who were greeting LGBTQ supporters were kicked out by security during a show in Shanghai 카지노. Last year, she dismissed an “outrageous” ad in the New York Times that accused her and her sister Anwar Hadid’s boyfriend, Gigi and Bella Hadid, of anti-Semitism.
“I completely reject the false and outrageous accusations,” he wrote on social media in response to the World Values Network debate of Rabbi Shmuley Boteach. “It is a price to be paid for defending Palestinian human rights against the Israeli government whose actions in Palestine both Human Rights Watch and the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem have accused of persecution and discrimination.”
He is not the only musician with strong feelings for Qatar. In a new interview with the Sunday Times, Rod Stewart has revealed that he turned down the chance to play in the country. “I paid a lot of money, over a million dollars, to play there 15 months ago,” Stewart said. “I asked him. It is not good to go there. And the Iranians should not be supplying weapons.
Read: Country Music May Be Different, but is It the Same?
BTS star Jung Kook is the only official confirmed for the opening ceremony, which will be held at the Al Bayt Stadium on November 20. American singer Diplo, DJ Calvin Harris and Jamaican singer Sean Paul will also perform at the Fifa Fan Festival, which will take place during the 29 days of the tournament. Lipa is not the first musician to miss out on a performance in Qatar.
On Sunday, Sir Rod Stewart revealed that he refused more than $ 1 million to play in the country last year. He told the British newspaper the Sunday Times: “I refused. It’s not right to go. “The Iranians should also go out of their way to deliver weapons [to Russia].”
Also on Sunday, comedian Joe Lycett told David Beckham that he would withdraw £10,000 if the player did not leave his World Cup contract in Qatar. The footballer was reportedly paid £10m to be an ambassador for the event and was heavily criticized for accepting the money, as he was once seen as an ally of the LGBTQ+ community.…